If you are involved in a car accident and sustain injuries because of the accident, you should talk to a personal injury lawyer. In fact, anyone who has been involved in a car accident, truck accident, motorcycle accident, boating accident, recreational vehicle accident such as ATVs, pedestrian or bike accident, and accidents involving public transit or transportation vehicles, should contact a personal injury lawyer. The sooner you do so the better.
With serious personal injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries and orthopaedic injuries like spinal cord injuries, amputations, or neck, shoulder, knee and other bodily injuries, it is especially critical that you talk to an Ontario lawyer as quickly as possible after the incident to ensure your rights are protected and you receive the benefits and/or compensation you deserve.
The province of Ontario has established strict time limits for reporting and filing a claim. If you fail to submit your claim in time, you could forfeit your ability to sue for financial compensation or damages. Ferguson Barristers LLP offers free, no obligation consultation if you have suffered a personal injury or if you are involved in a dispute.
If you have been injured in an accident, these basic steps can help protect your rights:
- Contact a relevant authority to tell them about your accident. For example, if you are in a motor vehicle accident, contact the police. If you have injured yourself on someone else’s property, tell the owner or manager.
- Take down the names of witnesses and people involved in the accident.
- Tell your insurance company about the accident, but remember that anything you say to your insurer could be used against you in determining your entitlement to benefits.
Other tips worth considering if you are in a car accident:
- Take notes after the accident – If you are able to take notes then do so as soon as possible. This will provide better details about the accident then trying to rely on your memory
- Obtain medical records – You have a right by law to obtain any of your medical records to prove the injuries you sustained. Having this information could be crucial.
- Find the right personal injury lawyer – One of the most important steps is to talk with a personal injury lawyer to determine your rights and possible compensation
- Notify responsible parties – It is best to notify those responsible for your injuries through a personal injury lawyer such as Fergusson Barristers to prevent your case from being dismissed
If you have been injured in an accident, you have rights. You may not know everything, but the professionals at Ferguson Barristers can help you discover
For more information: What to do after a car accident
If you have been involved in a car accident and need a personal injury lawyer, we offer services for the following locations:
- Burk’s Falls
- Honey Harbour
- New Liskeard
- North Bay
- Sturgeon Falls
- Wasaga Beach