During icy winter months, it is important that property owners and property occupiers keep their premises safe for users. At the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the occupier/owner to keep areas such as sidewalks, laneways and driveways clear from snow, ice or any other debris. If negligence is determined, he/she may be held liable for any losses or injuries incurred.
Failure to maintain a property or premises can result in conditions where slips, trips and falls become more likely. If you are injured under these circumstances, a personal injury lawyer can help you find out if you may be entitled to recover damages for your injury from the property owner or occupier.
Some common hazards include:
- Ice and snow that has not be adequately cleared
- Uneven surfaces such as cracks, gaps or holes
- Slippery surfaces
- Debris on walking paths or driveways
- Damaged stairways or missing handrails
- Poorly lit areas
The best way to prevent slip and fall injuries is by always maintaining a clean and safe environment. This requires a certain amount of dedication and work, but that far outweighs the consequences of failing to do so.
According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada , the following are some of the criteria used to determine whether or not the appropriate standard of care was applied:
- Whether the danger was foreseeable.
- Whether the occupier’s conduct was in accordance with acceptable standards of practice.
- Whether there was an adequate system of inspection (considering the risks involved) in place and carried out.
- Whether the danger was allowed to exist for an unreasonable amount of time.
- The ease with which the danger could have been prevented.
Property owners often have insurance that victims can access to gain financial compensation and help them manage the short-term and long-term effects of their injuries.
Our firm has helped many clients recover damages from municipalities, companies and a variety of property owners whose negligence has resulted in personal injury. If you are injured in a slip/trip and fall or other incident, a personal injury lawyer from Ferguson Barristers can help you.
For more information about slips, trips and falls please visit the link below. It is a valuable resource for victims as well as for occupiers.